We had friends over the other day and during the tour of the house, someone noticed the 7 Daily Reminders that I put up in my bathroom mirror next to my goals. They asked what it is and why I haven’t talked about it yet. My only answer was that I had not thought about it and they have always been personal to me. Being that I coach on vulnerability, it’s only fair to show up fully myself. I apologize for the delay in sharing these reminders and hope they are as helpful to you as they have been for me and for that house guest. The purpose of the reminders is just that, to remind myself to show up in this way every moment of the day.
JM’s 7 Daily Reminders
- Have a Growth Mindset Always! -Carol Dweck wrote an incredible book called Mindset: The New Psychology of Success. That book has shaped my thinking ever since. It’s not always easy to stay in this mindset but it’s what I strive for.
- Be a Leader at all times. -This statement can be confusing to some but for me it means showing up as my best self. I believe that everything rises, and falls, based on leadership. Sometimes a leader is vocal, sometimes they lead by example, sometimes they are a follower, but they always have influence.
- Respond not React -I meditate every single day and often multiple times per day to be better at this. I may not be able to control how I feel emotionally (tons of scientific research you can do on this) but I can choose to respond in a certain way.
- Love and Play full out! (take your Ego out of it) -My intent is to give 100% to every moment I live. I don’t want my ego to get in the way of that. If I look silly (which I do plenty), then so be it! But I want those around me to know I’m giving my best and coming from a place of love.
- Be Present in the Now, fully engaged. -What happened in the past is in the past. The future will come, and I know it’s going to be amazing. The reason I know that is because I’m giving the present moment everything I have. The saying I use for myself is “Past is pain, future is anxiety, and present is everything”.
- Keep Perspective (Dik Fong) -Dik Fong was my brother-in-law and he passed away far too young (age 49 of Esophageal Cancer). He has 3 amazing daughters (my nieces). No matter what challenge/problem I’m facing, I know Dik wishes he could face those problems too. Life is too short to worry about petty, first world problems. I miss Dik every single day as does his whole family. Maybe that’s why he was taken so young, so we remember to cherish our lives every day.
- Be COURAGEOUS, have FUN, TRANSCEND! -Courage, Fun, Transcend, are the core values of Let’s Go Win. The company exists “to inspire people to live their best life” and the best way I know to do that is practice Courage, always have Fun, and Overcome Self-Limiting Feliefs (my definition of transcend).
These 7 Daily Reminders were at one time 13 daily reminders. I tell you that because once something has become so habitual you never have to think about it, it comes off the list. These 7 have been on there for 13 years and they may never come off, but they are what I strive to be daily. My intent was to share what has been helpful to me as a check in. Hopefully, you will find your own reminders or feel free to use these if they resonate with you. If nothing else, keep me accountable please!